Tamekia Bell, PhD
Tamekia Bell, PhD, LCPC, NCC (She/Her/Hers)
Dr. Tamekia Bell facilitates the process of her clients solving their own problems. Through her counseling sessions, Dr. Bell provides a safe, open, affirming, and non-judgmental space for people to express their thoughts, feelings, behaviors and emotions. This is how Dr. Bell’s clients are able to reach their full potential and realize personal and professional goals!
Since writing her Ph.D. dissertation for Old Dominion University’s Counselor Education and Supervision program, Dr. Bell has continued to research, speak and consult on counselor competency in working with people with disabilities. Prior to her doctoral studies at ODU, Dr. Bell earned a master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, TN.
Dr. Bell has provided counseling services to community agencies in Norfolk, VA and Chicago, and conducted several workshops for Chicago community agencies in the areas of multiculturalism, diversity, and microaggressions in the workplace.
Dr. Bell’s authentic nature, empathy and affirmation of her clients’ cultural identities allow her to build a natural rapport with her clients to better serve them. She takes the time to truly understand their concerns so that she can support them in a meaningful way.
“My goal is for clients to feel validated and affirmed throughout the counseling relationship.” – Dr. Tamekia Bell
Key Presentation Topics
- Disability-related issues
- LGBTQI+ issues
- Social justice and advocacy
- Pedagogy in counselor education
- Intersectionality of cultural identities
- Student affairs and college student development
- Best practices in assessment and research in counseling.
Fun facts about Dr. Bell
- Her favorite shows are “Young Sheldon,” “Big Bang Theory,” “Living Single,” “How I Met Your Mother” and “Friends”
- She’s a runner, completing a few half marathons since moving to Chicago
- She enjoys listening to music.
- She and her out-of-town relatives love to “group watch” movies together.
- She loves eating international cuisines, including Peruvian and Ethiopian foods!